Thursday, November 13, 2008

For Ben

It was one fateful July night. Or was it June? I can't remember. What I remembered was that you approached me and asked me where to get a nose ring - just like mine.

The nose ring was faux, I didn't even have a nose piercing. I just wanted to make a statement. And you noticed. I was touched.

Just like previous encounters, I forgot about you. Until you came back.

It was almost a year after that fateful encounter. You came back and you had to remind me how we met. I didn't remember, but I pretened I did. What I remembered was that I was wearing that fabulous faux nose ring. And that for one night, I was happier than usual, dancing on top of the chairs at our favorite bar. That was what I remembered.

Now, 2 years after, when I want to forget, I can't. I keep coming back to the times when I saw you almost everyday. I keep coming back to the glorious stupidity that I brought on to myself. Do I regret any of these? No.

I have prayed, begged, and wished that you were mine, and yet not even a thousand coins thrown at a wishing well would change the fact that I am, in fact, just someone who came to your life - unexpectedly and uninvited.

I am writing this, after almost 3 years from that fateful night I first met you.

The tear dropped from my eye, to my cheek, and I felt pity. For myself. For you. For anyone who is looking for love and finding something that might be it - only to find out that it never is, and will never will.

I never thanked you for everything you have done for me. I guess now is the time.

Thank you for making me realize that I am more than what I perceive myself to be. You made me realize that I am who I am, and I do not have to change for anyone else in the world.

Salamat Ben. Salamat sa lahat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thank you for visiting my site! I like this story, be you, always BE YOU! =)

normanrey said...

Bittersweet memories, the spice of life. It's amazing -- all the potential there is with every person we meet, and how little we really do about it. I'm not just talking about romantic love, but any kind of love/relationship. Most of it becomes what-ifs and could-have-beens. We learn and we grow.

Thanks for sharing. :)

the lowly gardener said...

and we can only be who we are. no more. no less.

it is always good to see people as they are and not as we would want them to be. I made that kind of a mistake more than once. your encounter on that night was with someone with an open heart for friendship. I wish the bonds made a year from then on would continue, despite the what if's and if only's.

you are welcome my chiraz, and thank you too.

ben