Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Of Lost Glasses and Rootbeer

I lost my favorite pair of glasses a month ago, it was the only pair I have kept for over a year. It looked good on me, and I held on to the hope of finding it, even going as far as straining to look at my pc monitor while creating reports and reading materials over the internet.

When I decided to get another pair, I could'nt really find a pair of frames that would look like it, or would look even close to it. So I pick this really thin frames that was light weight, and then paid for scratch proof lenses to make myself feel better. After I paid for the overpriced pair of glasses, I looked at myself in the mirror, and though I was able to see real clearer, I felt like an old man was staring back at me.

A couple of weeks ago, an officemate approached me and mentioned that he found a pair of glasses. He described it, and, like a child who was told he'll be getting a new bike for Christmas, my eyes sparkled with hope. I found it, my favorite pair of glasses.

Now, writing this blog entry, I am peering through the only pair of glasses that lasted this long. It was lost, but now it has been found.





*****

When I was a child, my mom would usually bring me to Greenwich, a local pizza fastfood shop, just like Shakey's, or Pizza Hut, and I would look forward to our "lunchdates". And one thing that I would always look forward to is the rootbeer that comes with my "kiddie meal."

I cannot describe how much I craved for Rootbeer. But then, when I started drinking other beverages, I soon forgot the taste of the special drink.

After coming from a week long Medical leave, I saw that there were new vending machines in the pantry.

Lo and behold, sitting inside the vending machine, like puppy with its sad eyes, was a can of ice cold Sarsi, and old favorite that made me reminisce the old times with my mom as we dug in to a medium vegetarian pizza.

I cannot describe how it felt when the cold rootbeer touched my tongue. It was like I was in heaven. I was actually dreaming of being in a Sarsi Commercial, with my hair being gently caressed by the wind as closed my eyes to savour the taste that only Sarsi can bring - a taste of love.

Now I feel ackward as Van looks at me, wondering why I looked that way.



*****

Here's to lost and found things, bringing us back to the past, and making us hope that someday, though impossible, we can go back to the past to relive any moment - any moment we continue longing for.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

o-m-g!!! root beer talaga ang sarsi? for real? 'kala ko cola siya! promise!

Peachy Herrin said...

oh - so that's why it tasted like spoiled cola or like cola laced with medicine....

Anonymous said...

oh mi gosh! that's sooo cool, now i'm craving for a rootbeer float! aaaah! thanks for this blog, now i'm hungry! lol...

have a great weekend!

:)

~Vin

Beaugarte said...

Jun and Peachy:

Ano buzz mga friendship!

Naku ha, nagbago pagtingin ko sa inyong dalawa!

Vin:

Enjoy your rootbeer float!

Unknown said...

'thas been a long time since i last read your blog. And i'm quite surprised how u found mine. Well, here is to something that would bring the past, however old or long it may have been... "to going back to a place we once walked, together" :)