Monday, January 5, 2009

When You Wish Upon a Star


"Starlight, Starbright,

first star I see tonight,

Wish I may, Wish I might,

Have the wish, I wish tonight."


I have this thing about seeing the first star on a dark, cloudless, and sometimes moonless nights. Neither the fact that it may be planet, or that there are other indetectable stars out there hinder me from whispering the words I have written above.


Last night, when I had the chance to actually look at the night sky, I saw a twinkling light, a star, and involuntarily, I uttered that words that I have been uttering since I was in grade school.


Then I made my wish.


It was more of a question actually.


"Will I...?"


The year didn't really start out as I hoped it would, but hey, I have great hope that this year would be a good year for me.


I know wishing something won't do anything. "Nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa." (God helps those who help themselves.) I know wishing on a star won't do anything not unless I do something about it.


Here's to 2009, and to the people who believe that sometimes, wishing on a star isn't really a bad thing. It just shows us that despite everything, a small, twinkling light can bring hope to everyone- kids from 1, to 92.
Happy New Year to all.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, becks! And good luck to your resolutions :)