Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Case of the "Pancit" Date

One of the perks of working during graveyards shifts is being able to go on early morning dates. The bad thing about it is that if the person you have just met is really interested in you, it's either he is too young (and on the way to school), to old (can't sleep because of athritis), or is just to plain ugly (the "what-do-i-have-to-lose" guys). Yeah, I know, I sound really really conceited. But really, most of the guys I meet during earl mornings are (sorry) sore losers.

Being in a bad date is like being in a boat ride in Burnham. You know the water is murky, and it definitely smells like sewage (cause it is sewage), but you and your tourist friends still ride an overpriced boat just for the heck of it.

A bad date has three factors:
1. Me, and my hopeless quest for someone to truly love,
2. Him, and his awfully quiet or sometimes bad date demeanor, and
3. An overpriced restaurant or cafe where a bowl of overcooked pasta sells for at least half the price of the entire building.

Yes, we have been through bad dates. A night out with a date usually ends up with him drunk and you covered in puke. A stroll in the park with him in GOd-forbid tsinelas and you in a Choo. Ordering an expensive coffee at a cafe, not knowing that he does not have money and you have to pay for it.

But nothing beats a Pancit Date. This kind of date usually involves you, him, and a bowl of pancit. Yes, pancit. Pasta would be nice. Fetuccini Carbonara, or a bowl of piping hot Pasta Putanesca to warm your cold belly. But pancit?

It is not that I have anything against the typical Filipino merienda fare. It is just that if you would like to please someone, pancit is definitely NOT the food to place on the table.

Rei, a very good friend, was with me a couple of days ago. It was my restday and I wanted a change of scenery. So we talked. And having brought up the situation where he met a couple of gay guys who bought pancit for him to stay, I cant help but laugh. I mean, it really is not the food. I love pancit just as much as the people at the other table. It is just that a lot of people right now cover the fact that they are something they aren't! I mean, I wear makeup and huge earrings just as an expression, but these guys wear men's clothes, but has an inch-thick application of foundation on their faces. Talk aboout confused.

I know, I really don't make sense right now. Maybe it's because I am also confused. I mean, I love pancit and I am still looking for the right man.

Maybe with the right man, a plate of pancit wouldn't be bad, after all.

No comments: