Sunday, July 29, 2007

Alexandria

Is it over? Am I alone again?
Has the sun finally set?
Is my world in the dark again?
I woke up in the glittering sun,
There was too much light, I squinted.
And when I got used to the warmth,
to the shining, shimmering sunlight,
It ended.
Just like that.
Like a candle finally giving in to the breeze.


I sit in the corner of my dark room,
It was flooded with light before.
I listen to the murmurs from the distance,
asking me why I finally succumbed to darkness.

"I finished the book," I said,
a tear flowing from my eye.
"I finished the book," I said again,
not knowing why.

My Alexandria's full of scrolls,
bound books that where never meant to be there.
And there, before the light flickered to death,
I put the book I finished
I never got to the end.
I just knew what would happen.


So I closed the heavy book I held in my hands
and placed it with the others I have read.

In the dark corner I drifted to sleep.
In the dark corner of my Alexandria I wept.


Is it over? Am I alone again?
In the dark corner of my Alexandria
I wait for the sun to shine again.

No comments: